Brown Butter Rosemary Orange Cornbread
Cornbread is a staple to any BBQ meal.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and 8×8-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper and grease and flour the baking pan. Set aside.
- In a light-colored small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Melt and cook butter down completely. It will sizzle and crackle. That’s the butter cooking out of the butter. Keep an eye on the butter and you’ll see brown bits begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Swirl pan and cook until browned bits are a chestnut color and the butter smells nutty. Remove from the pan and immediately transfer butter (browned bits and all) to a small bowl to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, orange juice, and browned butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together sugar, orange zest, and chopped rosemary. Blend with the back of a spoon working the orange and rosemary flavors into the sugar.
- Add flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda to the large bowl with the flavored sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine, ensuring that all of the dry ingredients are moistened and incorporated into the batter. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth to the edges. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Bread is best served warm and will last, well wrapped, at room temperature for up to three days.
From joythebaker.com | View Recipe on Pinterest ›